Saturday 23 June 2012

Day 2 begins

Day 2 begins


I set out from the church at 6.45, relieved to still be dry and warm. Somewhat stiff of course, I was glad to get moving and make it to Newark, some 4/5 miles away for a breakfast and tea. The morning started well, no rain yet and a crispness underfoot as I trod the sod across a field following one of the many local footpaths. The track a bit obscured, the signs not quite as clear as they could have been, I soon found my way into the middle of the fields close to Staythorpe Power station. The wind calm and skies clouding over I was daydreaming when along came a stranger and her dog.
Jayne, (later to reveal her name) said that she was not normally out at this time, her partner couldn't walk the dog, so she had taken the chore. We chatted, she explained she was surprised to meet someone out for such a long walk, we laughed about my sleeping in the church doorway. I would have liked to get to know more about her, but our conversation was mainly based upon her enquiries about my walk and aims etc.
What impressed me most about Jane initially, was that even though she hadn't quite reached the limit of her task, she asked me if she could accompany me, walking back towards her village. Here I had my first random walking partner. Thank you Jane for your spontaneous request!!
As we walked she asked me lots of things, again sadly I didn't get to acquire much detail about her life or what Imagine could glean from this chance meeting with her. When we reached her home, I half hoped that she might offer me a cup of tea, as I was missing out on my normal routine of a few cups first thing. I understand how weird it would have been to explain to her partner, when he came downstairs that she had brought home a man she had never met before that she had found romping across a field at a quarter past seven in the morning, even if the dog took to me.
Like I said, expectancy low, reality a bonus. I do sincerely thank Jane though for her kindness and encouragement, and sharing a part of my journey. (It really is that easy to help and encourage me, and little escapes my notice)
By about 8 am the rain began to fall heavily. I used the bus shelter at Kelham to put on my wet weather gear, and before long I was coming into Newark, with the hope of refreshments at the forefront of my mind. Tea, more tea.




So to find some food. Walking had been relatively smooth going despite the rain and Newark welcomed me with a breakfast and tea, from the Teapots Tearooms in Arcade.



Its new hostess with the mostest was Denise Simpson. Her mother, Joan who was in town to help out soon got into conversation with me and then all the staff were listening in to my tales of my desire to walk the entire united kingdom with Project Imagine, walk with a stranger, make a new friend. Joan who had once ridden her bycycle around the U.K. and later traveled all over the U.K. in her car was an inspiration, as she chatted about her adventures.


Denise who has just taken over this business, was very keen to provide a quality service, and I thank her very much for her contributions towards my refreshment. It is the simple and even small things that have the most profound impact on me. So sated for now, a few new clues as to aims and goals noted I set out again, heading for Lincoln. 


 So thank you Joan, Denise and Jess for your encouragement. Best wishes for Denise's business and good luck with the physics exam to Jess, the smiley young Waitress/student.

 

Later it really began to rain persistently and I soon felt the dreariness setting in. Whilst my adventures were helping me meet some pretty nice people, I still wondered what I would do for accommodation this eve, as I could pretty well imagine the costs involved in taking b&b all the time. 
I decided that despite my hope not to use this option, (because it would mean carrying it) I would have to actually get a tent to sleep in for a while. I can't rely at present on the hope that people will offer to put me up. Maybe as I get more coverage and or publicity. Maybe I will get an interview soon with some media outlet and get some serious publicity for the walk and it's aims. I have tried believe me to reach these resources, but maybe I don't fit the remit of what they expect?
This is where you the reader can help out. Facebook, telling your friends, asking others to get involved, perhaps organising a tip off to local news media sources, for the reason that networking is the way forward. Please get the word out, and help Imagine reach a wider audience. Thats it for begging done!!!!

By about 6.00pm I had walked through Norton Disney to find no services open, and on to Bassingham, where I wet my whistle at the Five Bells, due to an earlier shortage of water.  My feeling was that accommodation here was both expensive and sparse, having spoken to a local gentleman on entering the village out walking his dog. Again I did my level best to explain my weird situation yet no bite. I merely record the result, making no judgement over anyones ability to help out with the needs of a complete stranger.
Hopefully when I become more well know, people will respond more like the wonderful people I met walking across France, Spain and Portugal over the past few years. 
In mind I was strong, but what was I going to do about these golf ball size blisters? What would a warrior do?
In the end I called my Dad who lives about 20 miles away, and asked him for his help. When we arrived at his home in Heckington, I was freezing, damp and sore. I enjoyed the tea and chance to watch Germany whoop the Greeks at football. A lovely warm shower and a chance to lance my blisters to relieve the pain and aches of the second day having walked about 15 miles, took my mind into heaven. 
Like I said, it is the little things that can have the greatest impact. Sleep in a bed was drawing me in quickly and I began counting sheep before ten o'clock arrived.

Day 2 over.

No comments:

Post a Comment